Subject: Re: libGLU in mesa-dri
To: Juan RP <juan@xtrarom.org>
From: Blair Sadewitz <blair.sadewitz@gmail.com>
List: tech-x11
Date: 04/16/2007 11:18:40
On 4/15/07, Juan RP <juan@xtrarom.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 16:34:28 -0400
> "Blair Sadewitz" <blair.sadewitz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there a reason libGLU is being built in this package?  All existing
> > pkgsrc packages depend on graphics/glu, and libGLU depends on libGL.
> > When I've used this package, I SUBST_SED out all references to
> > -lpthread and remove glu and glut/glx from the list of build
> > directories.  I know this isn't strictly on-topic, but please, you
> > will avoid a whole lot of headaches if you don't link *ANYTHING* in
> > Mesa with -lpthread (it has to be removed from
> > src/mesa/drivers/dri/glcore/Makefile in addition to in the configs).
> > Then, make sure libX11 is built WITHOUT the X thread stubs and not
> > linked to -lpthread.  XTHREADLIB should be set to "-lpthread", though.
> >  This way, the NetBSD thread stubs will actually work, and everything
> > will be automagically thread-safe.
> >
> > By my lights, we should switch to individual packages for each
> > library.  Moreover, we should completely scrap the Mesa-provided build
> > system and use our own BSD makefiles.  OpenBSD's Xorg build does this,
> > as does our own xsrc.
> >
> > It might even make sense to package Mesa's GL headers seperately,
> > perhaps even generating a pkg-config file (see mk/fuse.buildlink3.mk
> > for an example of this) for them so that we could pull them in when
> > x11/glproto is outdated or otherwise insufficient.
>
> As you may know this package is a hack... I made it very quickly just
> for testing. Now that you know how to make things work properly, why
> don't you send a patch with all required changes to graphics/MesaLib?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> http://plog.xtrarom.org/
> Juan RP's blog - NetBSD/pkgsrc news in Spanish

Does MesaLib really need dependencies on libXi/libXmu/libXdamage for
the libGL/driver build?

Also, do applications have to be linked against libXxf86vm and libdrm
as is done by the buildlink file?  I would've thought linking to libGL
should be enough to get this at run-time.

Regards,

--Blair

--
Support WFMU-FM: free-form radio for the masses!
<http://www.wfmu.org/>

"The frivolity and boredom which unsettle the established order, the
vague foreboding of something unknown, these are the heralds of
approaching change.  The gradual crumbling that left unaltered the
face of the whole is cut short by a sunburst which, in one flash,
illuminates the features of the new world."  --G.W.F. Hegel,
_Phenomenology of Spirit_ 5:11