Subject: Good news! (was Re: Radeon DRI)
To: None <tech-x11@NetBSD.org>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
List: tech-x11
Date: 03/26/2007 23:53:25
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, Jared D. McNeill wrote:
> I haven't been able to test COMPAT_LINUX yet, as the suse100_glx package
> doesn't contain an r300_dri driver. I also haven't been able to get AIGLX to
> work, but xcompmgr and glxgears are both very stable for me. No XvMC support
> yet, but it looks like some of the newer DRI code might have support for this
> if someone is brave enough to try and merge it :)

Quick update --

  * I've managed to get AIGLX working on my r300. I'll talk with pkgsrc
    folks on how to upgrade our MesaLib package to support DRI.

  * Had to modify Xorg to link against libpthread to make AIGLX happy.

  * After fixing up agp_via in the kernel (and enabling AGP support in the
    Xorg radeon driver), performance has doubled according to glxgears:

 	10501 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2100.059 FPS

  * That score, by the way, was captured while running GNOME 2.16, AIGLX,
    and compiz + gtk-window-decorator, with all of the fancy wobbly /
    expose / fade / etcrap plugins active.

Cheers,
Jared