Subject: building mesa+dri drivers properly
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Blair Sadewitz <blair.sadewitz@gmail.com>
List: tech-x11
Date: 03/22/2007 14:53:55
I've been trying to do this in pkgsrc, and it's annoying me to no end.
 I wonder if anyone knows what I'm doing wrong.

1) I built src/glx/x11 as libGL instead of the one that's usually
built. I libtoolized the makefile.

2) How can I tell libtool to build libmesa.a as a PIC library and then
create the driver modules (I was using -module -avoid-version for the
drivers) which link in the PIC libmesa?  I'm referring to what goes on
with the 'linux-solo' target, which seems to be the one to use to
build the drivers.

3) When I built the drivers using libmesa.a created by mklib, I then
went to install glu and glut from pkgsrc.  That went OK. But then when
I went to build glxgears from pkgsrc, I got tons of undefined
references to "gl_dispatch_stub".  This makes me think that I didn't
build libGL correctly.
Other than that, I'm not sure what's going on here.

This was all done using Mesa 6.5.2.

Has anyone built all of this [cleanly] in pkgsrc?
If not, a diff against Mesa [6.5.2] source would be just fine.

If anyone feels like working on this, don't hesitate to commit to my
mesa packages in pkgsrc-wip.

I am happy to report, though, that (other than actually being able to
render anything due to the above) that my i945 works fine on i386 with
xorg-server 1.2.99.902 and xf86-video-intel 1.9.92.

I am going to try this on amd64 now to see what happens, as the last
time I tested amd64 it did not work.  I should note that I got that
drmMap error from Xorg on i386 as well until I updated my kernel
source after a bunch of changes went in and/or (dont know causally
what affects what as of now, sorry) built libGL from src/glx.  After I
installed the i915 mesa driver, AIGLX claimed to be happy with things.

Regards,

--Blair

--
Support WFMU-FM: free-form radio for the masses!
<http://www.wfmu.org/>

"The frivolity and boredom which unsettle the established order, the
vague foreboding of something unknown, these are the heralds of
approaching change.  The gradual crumbling that left unaltered the
face of the whole is cut short by a sunburst which, in one flash,
illuminates the features of the new world."  --G.W.F. Hegel,
_Phenomenology of Spirit_ 5:11