Subject: Re: drm drivers for NetBSD
To: Yorick Hardy <yhardy@uj.ac.za>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: tech-x11
Date: 03/20/2007 11:00:39
> I managed to get drm working here on NetBSD 4.0_BETA2
> using the i915 driver.

Great work!
I've adapted it to my -current system (i945) and it appears to work.
The "glxgears" score is actually a bit less than with software
rendering, but perhaps I'm doing something wrong. The amount
of system time spent indicates that the kernel module does
something...

>    mknod /dev/dri/card0 c 34 0

I've allocated the mi major number 188 for this which I intend
to commit soon so that it is reserved.
The libdrm and the xserver pkgs need to be adapted then.

> 3) I had to remove the workaround for an
>    X server bug in agp_i810.c.
>    Is this still true?
>    (It does not seem to seem to affect my machine).

It was me who introduced this. It was a BIOS bug, so while
I don't have an affected board at hand I assume that the
workaround is still necessary.
We'll find a way to have them coexist.

macallan@netbsd.org wrote:
> I'd still put them into sys/dev/drm - a while ago I was hacking on DRM
> support for Sun Creator3D graphics boards which are very non-PCI but
> that's really just cosmetics.

I've already done that: pci card frontends in sys/dev/pci/drm, rest
in sys/dev/drm. There is still some pci specific code in common
files, but at least the general separation is done.

best regards
Matthias