Subject: Re: xf86-video-intel v1.99.1 + modular-xorg-server-1.2.99.901
To: Blair Sadewitz <blair.sadewitz@gmail.com>
From: Eric Anholt <eric@anholt.net>
List: tech-x11
Date: 03/14/2007 11:00:31
--=-l4dUeav6vFDugdLLyutz

On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 01:08 -0500, Blair Sadewitz wrote:
> This snapshot of the server was just released on Mar 04.  I had to
> upgrade my keyboard and mouse drivers, but other than that, it built
> flawlessly.
> It is truly a hallowed day, as they have fixed the long-standing,
> pervasive wscons broken-ness.
>=20
> In this release of xf86-video-intel (the i810 name is deprecated),
> they merged the modesetting branch; no more V_BIOS!  No more
> 915resolution.  It works wonderfully, and supports the Xrandr 1.2
> extension and a bunch of other goodness.
>=20
> Now, we have to update our AGP driver ...
>=20
> If anyone wants, I can send them diffs to pkgsrc or commit something
> to wip, but the changes to build this are fairly trivial.
>=20
> xf86-video-intel 1.99.1 needs this version of the server for its mode
> generating/setting/parsing code; it will not work with 1.2.0.

Actually, we've set things up so that the distributed tarball should
build against a 1.2.0 server (and if you're building from upstream
source, you just pass the path to 1.3 server sources which it uses to
supply the missing bits in your 1.2.0 server).  It means you don't get
RandR 1.2, but at least you would get the new native modesetting.

The new thing we need from the kernel is two 4-page physical allocations
(the 2 ARGB cursors) -- if you can't do this, you'll get a software
cursor on one head.  I didn't bother to support more than one such
allocation in FreeBSD, because it used to only need one.  The
alternative is that we could write some code in i830_memory.c that
decoded the GTT entries for stolen memory and used those for the
contiguous physical allocations.  This would get us more efficient
memory use, as well.

For DRI, we'd like the 1.7 i916 DRM with the memory manager support, but
there are appropriate fallbacks if you don't have that yet.

--=20
Eric Anholt                             anholt@FreeBSD.org
eric@anholt.net                         eric.anholt@intel.com

--=-l4dUeav6vFDugdLLyutz