Subject: Re: Experience with modular-x11 (sequel)
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Vincent <10.50@free.fr>
List: tech-x11
Date: 12/13/2006 20:04:50
Jeremy C. Reed spake thus,

>> As for the impression, having an old ATI Radeon M7 video card, it seems
>> to me that the video is really faster, especially OpenGL. I can't be
>> more precise, because my feeling is only based on fluidity of some 3D
>> xlock screen and the rather vague impression that windows appear and
>> move quicker than with 6.9.0. Maybe some optimizations are carried out
>> during the build process that couldn't be achieved by the old monolithic
>> process, or this is an effet of GCC 4.1, I can't tell.
> Thanks for sharing your experience here. In addition to just build
> changes, there has been ongoing improvements to the code itself.

Once again, that's more a feeling that a clearly identified and measured
phenomenon. I'll try a newer tarball and see what gets out of it.

> I clipped out your steps, as they are wrong at this time, although I do
> understand that they do provide a way that will work.

I am conscious what I did is nothing but tinkering, and I never hold it
to be something else, especially a clean process others should follow.
Let's say, as you qualified it, it provides a tough way to make it work!

By the way, I can remember something went wrong while compiling the
server, though it is benign: a structure declared twice, and a function
first declared extern then static, both errors in the same .c file. It
might have been corrected in the newer versions.

I'll keep you posted.
Vincent