Subject: Re: first cut on xfree86-4.6.0
To: Matthias Scheler <>
From: Eric Anholt <>
List: tech-x11
Date: 11/27/2006 12:02:36

On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 13:25 +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 05:23:02PM +0100, Matthias Drochner wrote:
> > -I didn't bother to merge in local changes yet. Also I didn't
> >  check for new things to pull in.
> That needs to be done obviously. NetBSD-sparc64 might break otherweise.
> > -Xnest doesn't link. It seems to need some xfree86 specific
> >  libraries, but as I understand it, Xnest should be hardware
> >  independant, so there might be a misconfiguration elsewhere.
> "xf86*" libraries are not necessarily that hardware dependant. Their
> DGA library e.g. just provides direct framebuffer memory access. And
> that can also be made work with a virtual framebuffer.

The xf86 libraries are just for the (originally) XFree86-specific
extensions, which weren't standardized in the X Consortium/  That
namespacing really doesn't mean anything any more, as is shipping
"XFree86" extensions along with the XFree86 DDX, and some XFree86
extensions have found their way into non-XFree86 DDXes like kdrive.

Generally when the build fails with a server requiring some extension's
symbols, it's because the server isn't intended to use that extension,
but that server's miinitext.c compile failed to undefine the extension
macro like it should have.

Eric Anholt

Version: GnuPG v1.4.3 (FreeBSD)