Subject: Re: first cut on xfree86-4.6.0
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
From: Eric Anholt <eric@anholt.net>
List: tech-x11
Date: 11/27/2006 12:02:36
--=-z4fCFKdU90a8yxRJ31xJ

On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 13:25 +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 05:23:02PM +0100, Matthias Drochner wrote:
> > -I didn't bother to merge in local changes yet. Also I didn't
> >  check for new things to pull in.
>=20
> That needs to be done obviously. NetBSD-sparc64 might break otherweise.
>=20
> > -Xnest doesn't link. It seems to need some xfree86 specific
> >  libraries, but as I understand it, Xnest should be hardware
> >  independant, so there might be a misconfiguration elsewhere.
>=20
> "xf86*" libraries are not necessarily that hardware dependant. Their
> DGA library e.g. just provides direct framebuffer memory access. And
> that can also be made work with a virtual framebuffer.

The xf86 libraries are just for the (originally) XFree86-specific
extensions, which weren't standardized in the X Consortium/X.org.  That
namespacing really doesn't mean anything any more, as X.org is shipping
"XFree86" extensions along with the XFree86 DDX, and some XFree86
extensions have found their way into non-XFree86 DDXes like kdrive.

Generally when the build fails with a server requiring some extension's
symbols, it's because the server isn't intended to use that extension,
but that server's miinitext.c compile failed to undefine the extension
macro like it should have.

--=20
Eric Anholt                             anholt@FreeBSD.org
eric@anholt.net                         eric.anholt@intel.com