Subject: Re: i915 AGP in 3.1 faulty?
To: Dennis den Brok <d.den.brok@uni-bonn.de>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@lists.veego.de>
List: tech-x11
Date: 08/23/2006 07:45:16
On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 12:01:57AM +0200, Dennis den Brok wrote:
> Using an i386 3.1-RC1 kernel on 3.0 userland, including
> 3.0 X, some (but not many) videos, played back using
> mplayer with XVideo as output driver, appear "defect",
> that is, one still can recognize the content, but it is
> more or less heavily disturbed by wrong colours or small
> coloured bars all through the video output. Has anyone
> else seen this, or am I doing something completely wrong,
> or both?

Hmm, sounds like the same problem which i have with a matrox
card, where the XFree86 driver without the binary hal module
has a problem.

This is an 'workaround', which i use for my matrox card, to
allign the video output more nicely for the card with:

 mplayer -vf expand=x:y file.avi

where you have to ajust x and y to some sane value.

e.g. if the output is 640:352 when you should allign it to
640:360. It has to be a multiple of 18.
You don't need to use all dimensions, you can use -vf expand=0:360
for above example. See the mplayer manpage for more informations.

Btw, the x11 output should not have this problem.

> I'm not a member of the mailing-list, so please CC me, if
> appropriate. Thanks!

Done.

Bernd