Subject: Re: integrated radeonfb driver
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: tech-x11
Date: 08/17/2006 08:55:40
Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Aug 16, 2006, at 3:59 PM, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
>
>> I have integrated a driver for radeonfb into NetBSD.
>
> This is great.
>
> With all of the accelerated frame buffer stuff that's going into the
> kernel lately, it's time to really think about about a general frame
> buffer acceleration framework so that even the "dumb" Xwsfb can have
> acceleration (and maybe even 3D) support without all of the insecure
> nonsense usually associated with such.
>
> -- thorpej

I had planned on doing just that to radeon.  It has sort of been
back-burnered (into oblivion) as the project that I originally was going
to do that for had been canceled.

Now it looks like that project might get revived, but it isn't clear
that we'll still be on the same hardware, or even on NetBSD, so I can't
say whether I might be able to contribute more changes like this as a
consequence of my employment or not.

(Right now I'm being told to focus on our Solaris and OpenSolaris stuff.)

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191