Subject: Re: xorg - help needed
To: None <tech-x11@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-x11
Date: 08/07/2006 16:15:57
How do you plan to keep the Xorg code in NetBSD updated? Or how are you
going to get the Xorg's code (for later updates)?

I don't recall any single or even few tarballs for (recent) Xorg X11. And
even the latest release download site was incomplete. CVS is not used. And
the code is in different GIT repos. Xorg is made up of maybe more than 100
different components (which are provided as tarballs too).

Not a major issue as it can be solved technically.

But I guess it comes down to: is it worth doing this in NetBSD xsrc and
also in pkgsrc?

By moving away from xsrc we will stop the X11 work that never got
integrated upstream. Hopefully though this will encourage upstream patches
and development instead of no development.

(As for wsfb, the Xorg wsfb developer indicated that he is looking at
NetBSD's improvements for this.)