Subject: screen saver for wsdisplay on vesafb and Xorg wsfb?
To: None <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: tech-x11
Date: 07/28/2006 02:13:24
For two months, I have been using Xorg xf86-video-wsfb driver with
NetBSD's wsdisplay(4) on NetBSD's vesafb (missing man page?).
(vesa not mentioned in wsdisplay(4) either.) This is on i386 NetBSD

I can't turn off my display with xset.

The wsfb_driver.c has:

      pScreen->SaveScreen = WsfbSaveScreen;

which is:

WsfbSaveScreen(ScreenPtr pScreen, int mode)
        ScrnInfoPtr pScrn = xf86Screens[pScreen->myNum];
        WsfbPtr fPtr = WSFBPTR(pScrn);
        int state;

        if (!pScrn->vtSema)
                return TRUE;

        if (mode != SCREEN_SAVER_FORCER) {
                state = xf86IsUnblank(mode)?WSDISPLAYIO_VIDEO_ON:
                      WSDISPLAYIO_SVIDEO, &state);
        return TRUE;

I see WSDISPLAYIO_SVIDEO in /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/bios/vesafb.c.

How can I troubleshoot why I have no screen blank? What commands can I

(Note that I can screenblank fine using unichrome or via on the same

Also where are the WSDISPLAYIO_* settings documented?

The screen does turn off when I close the lid (or close most of the way).
(With no ACPI in kernel it reboots though.)

I have no idea if the wsfb "CloseScreen" function is used, but I am
guessing it is not as the screen will blank out side of X if lid is closed

- Jeremy C. Reed