Subject: Re: wsfb and WSDISPLAYIO_GINFO and Inappropriate ioctl for device
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-x11
Date: 05/26/2006 17:23:32
> And using wsfb driver from Xorg works.

By the way, I am now using:
options        VESAFB_WIDTH=1024
options        VESAFB_HEIGHT=768
options        VESAFB_DEPTH=16

And the kernel said:

  vesafb0: fb 1024x768x16 @0xd8000000

The text console had many more lines, but readable and usable. And X looks
great to me. The Xorg vesa and vga drivers do not work for me. I'd rather
use this than "via" aka openchrome aka unichrome. (Thank you jmcneill!)

Also by using these new width, height, and depth settings, when I exit X,
my console colors are correct. Before with the defaults, my console
X logs had:

(EE) wsfb(0): error saving colormap Invalid argument
(==) wsfb(0): Backing store disabled

The first error is from the Xorg's wsfb_driver.c:

        if (ioctl(fPtr->fd, WSDISPLAYIO_GETCMAP,
                  &(fPtr->saved_cmap)) == -1) {
                xf86DrvMsg(pScrn->scrnIndex, X_ERROR,
                           "error saving colormap %s\n", strerror(errno));
        }

I see that vesafb does support WSDISPLAYIO_GETCMAP, but I don't know the
problem here. The other ioctl errors above are also from the Xorg wsfb
driver code.

Also, does anyone know how I can get Xorg to stop probing my PCI and
buses? The xf86Init.c doesn't seem to have any options for skipping the
probing.

Is this probing even needed if I am using wsfb with wsdisplay on vesafb?

 Jeremy C. Reed