Subject: Google Summer of Code project ideas
To: None <>
From: Jan Schaumann <>
List: tech-x11
Date: 04/21/2006 12:14:20

As you are probably aware, the NetBSD project will once again participate
in the Google Summer of Code 2006.  We are currently compiling a list of
possible projects, but seeing how our userbase communicates primarily via
our mailing lists, I thought I should bring your attention to these

If you are interested in participating in the Summer of Code as as
student, it would be best if you would start discussing your proposal on
this list.  You also want to take a look at for a list of questions
you should be able to answer in your application.

The projects relating to topics on this mailing list are:

*  Accelerated OpenGL -- Make DRI and DRM work under NetBSD so that, at
   least, the free drivers included in a standard XFree86/X.Org
   distribution work in accelerated 2D and 3D modes.

*  Port of the NVIDIA graphics driver -- Port the FreeBSD driver for
   NVIDIA graphic adapter distributed by NVIDIA. Most of the work
   happens in the kernel, but making the userland part work with
   XFree86/X.Org and Linux binary emulation is needed too.

The complete list of project ideas is available online at

P.S.: Discussions (and implementations) of any of these projects is of
course welcome regardless of whether or not you are a student or intend
to apply for the SoC. :-)

Life," said Marvin, "don't talk to me about life."

Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (NetBSD)