Subject: Re: trouble compiling a working xserver for prep
To: Tim Rightnour <>
From: Michael <>
List: tech-x11
Date: 04/18/2006 11:34:44

> I'm trying to compile the XFree server from xsrc for NetBSD/prep, and
> I'm encountering a bit of a problem when running it:
> (II) Loader running on netbsd
> (II) LoadModule: "pcidata"
> (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libpcidata.a
> (EE) LoadModule: Module pcidata does not have a pcidataModuleData data
> object. (II) UnloadModule: "pcidata"
> (II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libpcidata.a
> (EE) Failed to load module "pcidata" (invalid module, 0)
> Fatal server error:
> Unable to load required probe modules, Exiting...
> I assume I've just missed a setting somewhere in a Makefile, but does
> anyone know where I should start?  I've looked around and the only
> thing I see is src/x11/Xserver/hw/xfree86/pcidata/Makefile
> Which defines:
> CPPFLAGS.xf86PciData.c+=3D        -DPCIDATA
> Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, I have no idea what /exactly/ went wrong but here's where to look:
Apparently the pcidata module wasn't built properly, after all it's only
a static library, probably misses an object file or two -
pcidataModuleData should point at some sort of header, if that's missing
something is seriously wrong.
Have a look at xsrc/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/bsd/ and
xsrc/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/bus/ - these contain
machine-dependent code to access the PCI bus, mmap() video RAM and
registers and so on. You might want to define a 'magic area' to access
IO space as well, like macppc and arm do. For now I'd recommend making
your prep box use the same code as sparc64 or macppc, that means to
mmap() everything through ttyE0 which vga should allow for the device it
sits on.

have fun

Version: GnuPG v1.4.0 (NetBSD)