Subject: Amnesiac won't permit :0.0 client access
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org, tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
List: tech-x11
Date: 03/23/2006 04:07:27
I often find my laptop is booting as Amnesiac. -if you are mobile, your
DHCP server either doesn't rendesvous in time, or you have to set SSID,
or even its being overridden.

When this happens, if I don't set a local hostname via
the /bin/hostname command, X11 gets started, but no clients can start.
-This is a PITA, and means dropping back to an alternate console,
logging in, sudo hostname <anything> dropping back to X11 etc.

Is there some setting which preserves enough information to make
localhost:0.0 legal so laptops can be functional even if partially
incorrectly bound to local net?

-george