Subject: Re: Hardware acceleration to future
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-x11
Date: 02/05/2006 16:57:54
On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 12:11:20PM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:
>  NVIDIA is a vendor for
> graphics card. DRI is a kernel software interface (in Linux, FreeBSD or
> both, not sure) which allows hardware acceleration which works AFAIK
> with NVIDIA cards and drivers, too.

DRI is not able to express the nice features of modern graphic cards - so
vendor provided binary only drivers like the nvidia one "work around" it.

DRI can, of course, be expanded to cope, but you'd need to convice vendors
like nvidia to "fix" their drivers then.

Neither of this works on NetBSD, and for DRI that would not be very hard
to fix. For the binary only nvidia driver, I don't think *we* can fix it
reasonably at all. (Yes, there exist ... uhm, let's say ... evil hacks
that could be used for the latter, but the basic point is: DRI is much
more likely to become officialy supported any time soon)

Martin