Subject: Re: login.conf and xdm
To: None <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz,>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: tech-x11
Date: 12/21/2005 11:52:30
On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 10:29:54PM +0100, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 07:01:29PM +0000, Patrick Welche wrote:
> > Basically, path and environment variables set in login.conf are thrown
> > away by xdm even if setusercontext is called. Another method might be
> > to call setusercontext, and then copy the newly set environment into
> > verify->userEnviron instead of duplicating code from login_cap.c, but
> > I prefer the idea of update/add rather than delete/add.
>
> Could all the login.conf handling be implemented in a PAM module that all
> PAM-using apps could use without modifying all of them?

Well, the call to setusercontext() is all the app needs. Currently xdm
already makes that call, but not in NetBSD as HAS_SETUSERCONTEXT is not
defined / no "#define HasSetUserContext YES" in NetBSD.cf. I believe
that is already sufficient to take care of setlogin()/initgroups() etc.
It also takes care of path/setenv within xdm, but when xdm starts the
session, it resets the environment, binning path/setenv by replacing it
with userEnviron - that is why the setuserpath()/setuserenv() is in there.

So, in otherwords this is just "fixing" what is already there, rather than
starting something new e.g., let's invent a new module..

Cheers,

Patrick