Subject: [XKB] CURRENT(20051111) fresh binary install. XF86Config doesn't
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Alexey G. Khramkov <agkhram@mercdev.com>
List: tech-x11
Date: 12/13/2005 18:41:56
Hello.

I built current ~month ago and I have no fresh installs untill last
friday.

November's thread "Unmapped key on my ibook..." has the same issue
(I guess).

The bug looks like `startx' (I have no experience with xdm) runs X,
and keyboard part of /etc/X11/XF86Config doesn't affect the keyboard.
In other words, X doesn't execute the `setxkbmap' command.

My bulk box is not affected (I've run current ~2.5 years and I have
stale X11 files which postinstall can't fix). X works as expected
after `./build.sh' stuff.

I've not tested old systems which was upgraded via `sysinst'
binary upgrade.

Definitely, fresh installation doesn't work as expected. The same
(right) XF86Config is ignored in the keyboard section. Even more,
rebuild form the same sources via `./build.sh' stuff doesn't solve
this issue.

Excerpt:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "keyboard"
        Option      "XkbRules" "xfree86"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us,ru"
        Option      "XkbVariant" ",winkeys"
        Option      "XkbOptions" "grp:ctrl_shift_toggle"
EndSection

Visual effect: group toggle doesn't work.

Workaround: run

setxkbmap -rules xfree86 -model pc105 -layout "us,ru" \
-variant ",winkeys" -option "grp:ctrl_shift_toggle"

by hands. It works.

I'm going to investigate it deeper if I'll have the time.

It's not (yet) bug report, just FYI.

HTH,
--
= Alexey G. Khramkov (agkhram) @ Infotech <agkhram{at}mercdev{dot}com> =
= GPG fingerprint : 944D 0C8B 343B 6C8D 50A1  061A E2DA 3E11 7765 6B47 =