Subject: Re: Unmapped key on my ibook late 2004
To: None <zul@netbsd-fr.org>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: tech-x11
Date: 11/23/2005 17:05:10
Hello,

> > > I own a late 2004 ibook and I plan to play with NetBSD on it.
> > > Xfree from  tree seems to work. But I have a few key which are
> > > not mapped ( ie xev doesn't show any signal when I press the key
> > > ).
> > > Note that the key is mapped correctly on wscons ( with keycode 10
> > > ).
> > >
> > > The keyboard is a french canadian keyboard.
> > >
> > > My Xfree configuration about keyboard is the following
> > >
> > >   Option "XkbRules"   "xfree86"
> > >   Option "XkbModel"   "ibook"
> > >   Option "XkbLayout"  "fr"
> > >
> > >   Option "Protocol"   "wskbd"
> > >   Option "Device"     "/dev/wskbd"
> >
> > Well, which version of NetBSD are you using? And you left out the
> > interesting part here - which keyboard driver do you use? kbd or
> > keyboard?
> >

> I have a current-NetBSD ( source fetched two days ago ). I have tried
> both driver and I have the same behaviour with the two driver.

Ok.

> > > I try to use xorg too but can't launch it ( error = Fatal server
> > > error:
> > > xf86MapVidMem: could not mmap screen [s=80000,a=90000000] (Invalid
> > > argument) even with option OFB_FAKE_VGA_FB.
> >
> > The address in the error message is NOT the VGA framebuffer so
> > OFB_FAKE_VGA_FB won't help.
> > Please check your XFree86 log ( in /var/log/ ) - if XFree messed
> > with the PCI BARs you'd get this sort of error since the console
> > driver checks the address ranges that belong to the graphics
> > controller only on startup, if something changes them afterwards
> > mmap() will fail.
>
> I don"t see any strange thing in my xorg.log . I have put my
> Xorg.0.log on
> http://zulzul.free.fr/Xorg.0.log if you want to check it.

No use to me, I don't do x.org. You're a bit ambiguous - first you're
talking about XFree, now all of sudden it's x.org - which problems do
you have with which Xserver? We did quite a few fixes in NetBSD's own
XFree ( in xsrc, not the one in pkgsrc although most should have been
imported into the official xfree86 source ), many of them
keyboard-related. Please check if your keyboard problem goes away with
NetBSD's xfree and the kbd driver.

have fun
Michael