Subject: Re: Reduced colour xdm images
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-x11
Date: 06/22/2005 09:43:43
Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.org.uk> writes:
> I was trying to work out why I couldn't get xdm to work on an 8-bit colour
> display (Sun cgsix) and I came across PR xsrc/30451.  The current images
> have a large number of colours because of the anti-aliasing (the b/w image
> isn't actually).  How about reducing the number of colours?  I've created
> a colour (transparent background) logo and a black/white logo and put them
> at:
>
> 	http://www.coris.org.uk/misc/NetBSD.xpm
> 	http://www.coris.org.uk/misc/NetBSDbw.xpm
>
> I suggest replacing the logos in xsrc/xfree/xc/programs/xdm/config/ with
> the above images.  Any comments?

Adding 8 bit images for the benefit of people using those displays
might be good, but on no account should the current images be replaced
or removed.

Why?

No modern display is so lame as to only allow 256 colors. I understand
the desire to make things work in a retrocomputing context, and adding
an 8 bit image is fine, but forcing the majority to get a worse
looking image for the benefit of people doing retrocomputing is
wrong. It is fine to require that the retrocomputing crowd do extra
work to make things look good.

Perry