Subject: Re: Reduced colour xdm images
To: NetBSD X11 <>
From: Holger Weiss <>
List: tech-x11
Date: 06/21/2005 00:31:46
* Julian Coleman <> [2005-06-20 22:46]:
> I was trying to work out why I couldn't get xdm to work on an 8-bit colour
> display (Sun cgsix) and I came across PR xsrc/30451.  The current images
> have a large number of colours because of the anti-aliasing (the b/w image
> isn't actually).  How about reducing the number of colours?  I've created
> a colour (transparent background) logo and a black/white logo and put them
> at:
> I suggest replacing the logos in xsrc/xfree/xc/programs/xdm/config/ with
> the above images.  Any comments?

I'd slightly prefer the NetBSD.xpm replacement I suggested in the above
PR[*], as it keeps some anti-aliasing by using 68 colors (instead of the
3 colors you use).  Using a transparent background might be nice though,
as long as the grey is readable on the default XDM background (didn't
check).  Here's another version using transparent background and 40

However, the important thing to do is to replace the pixmaps currently
used, yes.

PGP fingerprint:  F1F0 9071 8084 A426 DD59  9839 59D3 F3A1 B8B5 D3DE