Subject: Re: Reduced colour xdm images
To: NetBSD X11 <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Holger Weiss <lists@jhweiss.de>
List: tech-x11
Date: 06/21/2005 00:31:46
* Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.org.uk> [2005-06-20 22:46]:
> I was trying to work out why I couldn't get xdm to work on an 8-bit colour
> display (Sun cgsix) and I came across PR xsrc/30451.  The current images
> have a large number of colours because of the anti-aliasing (the b/w image
> isn't actually).  How about reducing the number of colours?  I've created
> a colour (transparent background) logo and a black/white logo and put them
> at:
>
> 	http://www.coris.org.uk/misc/NetBSD.xpm
> 	http://www.coris.org.uk/misc/NetBSDbw.xpm
>
> I suggest replacing the logos in xsrc/xfree/xc/programs/xdm/config/ with
> the above images.  Any comments?

I'd slightly prefer the NetBSD.xpm replacement I suggested in the above
PR[*], as it keeps some anti-aliasing by using 68 colors (instead of the
3 colors you use).  Using a transparent background might be nice though,
as long as the grey is readable on the default XDM background (didn't
check).  Here's another version using transparent background and 40
colors:

	ftp://ftp.in-berlin.de/pub/users/weiss/NetBSDtrans.xpm

However, the important thing to do is to replace the pixmaps currently
used, yes.

Holger

[*] ftp://ftp.in-berlin.de/pub/users/weiss/NetBSD.xpm

--
PGP fingerprint:  F1F0 9071 8084 A426 DD59  9839 59D3 F3A1 B8B5 D3DE