Subject: Re: DRI [was: Re: more summer of code fun]
To: Michael <>
From: Tonnerre <>
List: tech-x11
Date: 06/07/2005 01:36:02

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 07:13:09PM -0400, Michael wrote:
> There are different ways to attach vga. Via PCI or whatever you may have
> come up with yourself. Not all ports use vga, even on vga-compatible
> hardware. That's why I was asking. If you'd just forward the PCI
> attachment then we could just attach - say - machfb instead of vga.=20

It will attach in the same way that it attaches to PCI.

> XFree's sunffb driver contains DRI support, Mesa does too, all that's
> missing is the kernel part. I've found something that's apparently meant
> to be just that in the linux-specific code on, and
> that's what I'd use as a starting point to get drm support for ffb into
> the kernel. I didn't really have time to look either at your code or
> what I've found on though.
> So, when your code is going to be integrated I'd like it to happen in a
> way that allows me to use as much of it as possible - no point in
> re-inventing the wheel as you said yourself.

But there's no need for reinventing dri, because you can simply attach
whatever displays your wscons on top of dri if you add the respective
code, which again doesn't require you to reinvent any wheels. There
are enough wheels out there already, and I think we can profit from what
the DRI team does.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (NetBSD)