Subject: Sun GX and XFree86
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: tech-x11
Date: 05/01/2005 18:04:33
Hello,

I did some more work on the suncg6 driver, now it accelerates:
- screen-to-screen copies
- solid filled rectangles
- colour expansion ( for text rendering ) with or without transparency
- off-screen buffers ( only 10 lines for 1MB boards, should be way more
useful with (T)GX+ boards but apparently XFree already uses this to
emulate patterns. No accelerated line-drawing or stipples yet, I'll
probably add them later.

I sent the patch to the XFree86 folks, they accepted and committed it.
So... since the original driver is completely unaccelerated and we don't
know which future XFree86 release may contain it - should this get
committed into xsrc too? Since it's (so far) only tested on my Ultra 1
I'd like to see some people playing with it, I'm not at all sure it does
/everything/ right. Then - it should work on 32bit sparc too, but
XFree86 requires wscons ( cgsix already works as wsdisplay, wskbd and
wsmouse need a few changes in files.sparc )

So, people running NetBSD/sparc64 -current with wscons and XFree86 can
just use the attached driver ( drop it into
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers ) and see if they notice any difference
:)

Source and sparc64 binaries can be found here:
http://macallan.homeunix.org:6704/stuff/BSD/sparc64/Ultra1/suncg6.tar.bz2

have fun
Michael