Subject: Re: Strange xsrc compiler flags
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-x11
Date: 04/03/2005 18:18:26
In article <050404000020.M0111039@mirage.ceres.dti.ne.jp>,
	Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp> writes:
> In article <20050403143336.GD20095@drowsy.duskware.de>
> martin@duskware.de wrote:
>
>> Anyone got an idea why xsrc compiles with -fno-merge-constants?
>> Our src/x11 reachover stuff does not.
>
> With a quick glance, xsrc/xfree/xc/config/cf/xf86.tmpl has:

[snip]

The question is *why*.  Some quality time with Google came up
with the following insights:

  http://www.mail-archive.com/xfree86@xfree86.org/msg00452.html

So, it was added to the module build when it was found that the
modules wouldn't load at all without it.  I have no explanation
for why our native build doesn't seem to be affected.  However,
in theory, a NetBSD built module should be capable of being
loaded by the Xserver on any OS, so we should probably do it for
all the modules, to be safe.

Frederick