Subject: Re: XFree86 4.5.0 build confusion on Alpha
To: Matthias Scheler <>
From: David Hopper <>
List: tech-x11
Date: 03/30/2005 13:47:20
On Mar 30, 2005, at 1:31 PM, Matthias Scheler wrote:

> [...]
> If there NetBSD-alpha needs a XFree86 X server instead of "XdecNetBSD"
> somebody needs to modify "xsrc" and "src/x11" to build that. But it
> will probably not "just work", you'll probably need changes to
> the XFree86 X server code base.

Ah, very fine.  FWIW, I simply did a 'make World' in a newly CVS'd
/usr/xsrc with no source modification, and have a proper XFree86 4.5.0
installation now.  It does "just work" on this Miata, but I understand
there may be Alpha model-specific issues at play.

I had misread the recent 4.5.0 import threads as suggesting that a -x should build the XFree86 server on Alpha, among other