Subject: Re: XFree86 4.5.0 build confusion on Alpha
To: None <tech-x11@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: tech-x11
Date: 03/30/2005 21:31:09
In article <3e77ebc8a3b753370d7a1eec1db30889@nwlink.com>,
	David Hopper <dhop@nwlink.com> writes:
> I have "USE_XF86_4 = yes" in both /usr/share/mk/bsd.own.mk and
> /usr/src/share/mk/bsd.own.mk (they are identical, in fact).

You are not supposed to modify these files. Such changes belong into
"/etc/mk.conf". But that setting is obsolete in NetBSD 3.x and current
anyway. It will always build a XFree86 4.x based X11 distribution.

> However, 'build.sh -x release' on Alpha does not tar up XFree86-- only
> XdecNetBSD and XalphaNetBSD.

That's to be expected.

> I thought these would not be built if one had the USE_XF86_4=yes directive.

1.) This setting was only used before it got obsolete (see above) to decide
    if the X11 distribution was build from XFree86 3.3.6 or 4.x sources.
    It does *not* influence which X servers are built.

2.) This setting only influenced what was build when you used "make"
    in "xsrc". "./build.sh" has always used XFree86 4.x sources.

If there NetBSD-alpha needs a XFree86 X server instead of "XdecNetBSD"
somebody needs to modify "xsrc" and "src/x11" to build that. But it
will probably not "just work", you'll probably need changes to
the XFree86 X server code base.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/