Subject: XFree dynamic loader
To: None <tech-x11@NetBSD.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-x11
Date: 03/26/2005 21:36:58
Folks,

I'm exploring options to create a dynamic sparc64 X server - because
the src/x11 cross-compile framework does not seem to support monolithic
XFree86 based servers.

The XFree elf loader does, from a cursory glance, only support 32bit sparc
relocations.

Now it seems we have to fix either of the above, and I'm looking for the
simpler change. Actually it does not make any sense to me to duplicate
ld.elf_so functionality in the XFree loader - can someone tell me why this
is a good idea?

Would a third option be to use the DLOPEN_SUPPORT stuff in XFree? Any
downsides? I found it ... strange ... that the XFree code always seems to
try it's homegrown loader first and only falls back to dlopen/dlsym if that
fails - what I'd like to see is dlopen/dlsym only stuff. Can modules be build
in a way that makes the X loader fail but dlopen/dlsym succeed?

Martin