Subject: Re: xdm login screen change
To: <>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: tech-x11
Date: 03/14/2005 05:31:33
Some more thoughts:

It might be good to see if there are any objective requirements
for the XDM login.  E.g., I haven't seen a black and white X terminal
in years (about 1998 or maybe 1999; they really were black and
white, not greyscale).  I assume that they are still floating
around, though.  And some NetBSD ports may only have black and
white displays.  (I seem to remember something about the original
Atari ST being that way, and the original Mac (I assume that there
are hacks by which both could take a 68030 CPU)---and maybe the
original NeXT boxes.)  And, of course, there are colorblind people...

How about people with marginal vision?  (Blurry vision, etc.)  Should
the default XDM display cater to them as best as possible?

Perhaps a number of provided-with-the-system XDM login screens should
be available?  One assuming good vision and a sharp, color display,
and perhaps one or more for corner cases.

(Note I've tried to steer clear of judgmental commentary this time
around.  Just providing some points to consider---though the black
& white display issue was already raised.  Since I don't use XDM,
I am not all that concerned with it.  I start X via "startx".  (^&)