Subject: TV-out on Radeon 7500 (XFree86 4.4.0)
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Sean Davis <dive-nb@endersgame.net>
List: tech-x11
Date: 02/05/2005 17:08:25
Hello, I'm trying to get X to display correctly on my TV. For reference, my
setup at the moment is:

NetBSD/i386 2.99.15 + XFree86 4.4.0

AGP Radeon 9200 (128MB) connected to a ViewSonic PS775 at 1280x1024, working
just fine.
PCI Radeon 7500 (64MB) connected (via the RCA output) to an old Sony
Trinitron 15" TV. This is the problem.

Windows XP can do this just fine - it claims that my tv is using "NTSC M"
and worked on the first try. If only I could pull a modeline out of that ;-)

I've tried dozens of modelines found on the web, but none seem to get it
even close to working, the only thing that changes is the patterns of black
and white lines on the TV. It should be noted that this is a multi-system
TV: it will work with PAL or NTSC (it was originally purchased in europe, to
work with Greek cable tv). The TV has no S-Video input capability, just RCA
and weird-european-coax-jack-of-some-kind.

Does anybody have any advice for getting this to work? After googling, it
seems that the ATI binary drivers have "TVStandard" Options for XF86Config
that get things working without any need to mess with modelines, but that
doesn't help with the plain radeon (or ati) driver.

Any help/pointers would be appreciated.

- Sean

--
 _