Subject: Re: HEADS UP: XFree86 3.3.6 has been EOLed
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@NetBSD.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-x11
Date: 01/08/2005 01:01:16
[ On Friday, January 7, 2005 at 19:11:55 (+0000), Matthias Scheler wrote: ]
> Subject: HEADS UP: XFree86 3.3.6 has been EOLed
>

> XFree86 3.3.6 has been officially EOLed in NetBSD-current today:
>
> 1.) It sources have been removed from "xsrc". They are of course still
>     available via CVS.
>
> 2.) Support for creating XFree86 3.3.6 distribution sets has been
>     removed from "src".
>
> 3.) "bsd.own.mk" now sets "USE_XF86_4" to "yes" unconditionally.

What about the inevitable future release of 1.6.3 (or even the ongoing
support of 1.6.2_STABLE)?

If I remember correctly there are some _extremely_ imporant differences
between the netbsd-1-6 branch and the HEAD (as of just before the mass
"cvs rm", of course); and I know for certain there are a great many
highly desirable changes as well.

I think it would be wise and highly desirable to at least merge
yesterday's head up to the netbsd-1-6 branch.  I've been running
xsrc-current on 1.6.x for some time now (e.g. on alpha and sparc) and
I've been extremely happy with the result.  I.e. I would suggest that
the merge could be done without worry -- it'll all just work fine on
1.6.x.  At least it does on alpha and sparc!  ;-)

This certainly complicates my use of NetBSD CVS, not that anyone else
cares :-) -- I've now got to be very careful not to "cvs update" in my
production xsrc tree until/unless this is sorted out; and I certainly do
NOT want to go back to the current state of the netbsd-1-6 branch
either, as that would be a significant step backwards for my uses.

> All NetBSD ports will use XFree86 4.x based X11 bits in future as they
> already do in the NetBSD 2.0 release.

I'm not sure I understand that statement -- it doesn't parse very well.

What _exactly_ does it mean?  The "will use ... in future" bit is most
puzzling.

Don't all NetBSD-current ports already use xsrc/xfree (via the
reach-over build)?  If not, which, and why not, and when?

BTW, when will xsrc/xfree move over to src/dist where it belongs now
that the reach-over build is working?
(and if not, why not!?!?!?!)

--
						Greg A. Woods