Subject: Re: X and date change causes hang
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: David H.Gutteridge <dhgutteridge@sympatico.ca>
List: tech-x11
Date: 11/22/2004 22:41:13
Hi,

Here's what I just tried: I removed the root crontab file (no other users have crontabs), I made a date change one year forward, and the results were:

X server before: 0.02 CPU time
X server after: 1.29 CPU time

As soon as a remote xterm session I had opened unfroze, the first time I tried this top reported that cron was indeed running, but with comparatively little CPU time, and it maxed out at 60% of CPU before quickly dropping.  It appeared (by eye) that cron had started right after the freeze ended, but my eyes aren't a fair arbiter (I didn't look at it fast enough).  What I can say is that cron had 0:03 CPU time before the freeze, and was accumulating at least some of its present total of 0:23 after the freeze ended.  I redid the test a second time, and cron remained at 0:23.  (The second time X showed a massive number for CPU time, obviously affected by the date change.)

lastcomm shows no processes between the date command I issued and the time the system unfroze.  No other processes show any appreciable changes.  So it appears X is indeed the culprit.

It's curious that this does not happen when the date is moved backwards, only forwards.  I know nothing about X internals, so I have no idea if that's significant or not.

Regards,

Dave