Subject: Re: Questions about (setting up) X on NetBSD v1.6.2/i386
To: Pavel Cahyna <>
From: Ib-Michael Martinsen <>
List: tech-x11
Date: 11/18/2004 16:28:21
Hello Pavel, you wrote:

 > > com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4: ns16550a, working fifo
 > This is the serial port. The corresponding device file should be
 > /dev/tty00.
 > Maybe you don't know that there are no kernel drivers for serial mouse,
 > only for the serial port. There is an userspace driver (a daemon), called
 > moused. If you get it to work, mouse should work in X11, if the
 > Xserver is configured to use wsmouse. Look at the moused manual page,
 > you'll need to tell it the serial port device and the mouse type (it has
 > some autodetection capabilities which could help you with that).

Actually I vaguely remembering doing this in the past, maybe when I
was running NetBSD on an Acorn RiscPC with a StrongArm
processor. Anyway after starting the the moused daemon and configuring
X correctly, X and the mouse is now working. Thank you for refreshing
my memory.

And thank you to all others who took the time to care about my

Kind regards
email at home: imm(at)
Running NetBSD/i386 v1.6 (and now also v1.6.2 :-)