Subject: Re: X.org vs. XFree86 going forward
To: David Hopper <dhop@nwlink.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-x11
Date: 09/28/2004 11:14:51
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, David Hopper wrote:

> One of the big issues I have as an end-user is the state of non-x86
> platforms.  I haven't gotten a sense of the number of developers in
> each camp (Xorg / XFree86) that might be focused on older architectures
> or slightly different bus topologies for which we have nascent or
> robust X11 code in our tree (like Alpha, Mac PPC, Amiga, etc.).
>
> Do you have any sense that Xorg the way to go for alternate platforms,
> as well?

http://wiki.freedesktop.org/XOrg/XorgReleaseStatus shows that they had
testers for various platforms: IA-32, Alpha, AMD64/EM64T, Sparc64, HP
PA-RISC, ARM, IA-64, PPC, PPC64, MIPS, S/390, Sparc. (Only M68k was listed
but didn't have a tester.)

That webpage is incomplete, because it didn't indicate who gave back
results, but at least it did show some names of those who indicated they'd
do tests.

Note that NetBSD had no volunteers. (Although I did setup a NetBSD
tinderbox for daily builds for them for a few weeks.)

 Jeremy C. Reed

	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/