Subject: Re: X.org vs. XFree86 going forward
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: David Hopper <dhop@nwlink.com>
List: tech-x11
Date: 09/28/2004 10:56:13
On Sep 27, 2004, at 8:28 PM, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> I believe they would be open to allowing code that only NetBSD uses to
> be
> added. I read that XFree86 only will accept OS independent code, but
> Xorg
> will in some cases accept OS dependent code.

One of the big issues I have as an end-user is the state of non-x86
platforms.  I haven't gotten a sense of the number of developers in
each camp (Xorg / XFree86) that might be focused on older architectures
or slightly different bus topologies for which we have nascent or
robust X11 code in our tree (like Alpha, Mac PPC, Amiga, etc.).

Do you have any sense that Xorg the way to go for alternate platforms,
as well?

Thanks,
Dave