Subject: Re: X.org vs. XFree86 going forward
To: None <tech-x11@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: tech-x11
Date: 09/28/2004 06:10:54
In article <20040928025434.GA6847@canolog.ninthwonder.com>,
	Allen Briggs <briggs@NetBSD.org> writes:
> I guess I'm looking for one of three different answers here:
[...]
> 	2. Migrate to X.Org.  XFree86 will not serve us well.  Here
> 	   are the steps that need to be taken and (ideally) how much
> 	   work it will probably take to get them done.

I would vote for this option. It appears to me that the XFree86 has
lost most of its developers to the Xorg project which apparently
includes Matthieu Herrb who has in the past been the *BSD advocate in
the XFree86 project and did most of the work to maintain *BSD support.

And as many other people have observed it's the Xorg these days which
provides releases with new features.

Last but not least it's my impression that the Xorg project is less
Linux focused than the XFree86 somethings appeared to be.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/