Subject: X.org vs. XFree86 going forward
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-x11
Date: 09/27/2004 22:54:34
It's been a little while since I've been involved in X development.
When I was last involved in it, XFree86 was developing as a separate
project and the X Consortium was winding down for their last release.
Or something like that.

Anyway, I've barely noticed that something different is afoot these
days and there's been some kind of schism in the XFree86 development,
leading to a fork with X.Org and XFree86.org moving in different
directions.

I know very little about the details of this, and after being around
the BSD camps for >10 years, I don't really care to know the details.

But the question has arisen about where NetBSD should be going for
the future.  On the one hand, we have a number of platforms, and
we've invested in the existing XFree86 codebase, so it'll take some
work to migrate to something else.  But on the other hand, we do want
to leverage others' work.

We'd obviously want to preserve the work of cross-building for
multiple platforms.

I guess I'm looking for one of three different answers here:

	1_ Stick with XFree86.  It will be the best for the future.

	2. Migrate to X.Org.  XFree86 will not serve us well.  Here
	   are the steps that need to be taken and (ideally) how much
	   work it will probably take to get them done.

or	3. "Outlook hazy".  It's too early to tell what the best
	   long-term course of action might be.

Anyone following things closely enough to weigh in with an informed
opinion?

Thanks,
-allen

--