Subject: Re: XF86Config for mga
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20040409T084114@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com>
List: tech-x11
Date: 04/09/2004 08:59:18
tim.sellar@dsvr.co.uk (Tim Sellar) writes:
> I have built and installed current with XFree86-4.4.0 on a workstation
> but cannot persuade X to provide a usable display. The pointer is

I'm running XF-4.4.0 on a variety of mga's at 1200x1600 with no
problems.

    XF86Config.bonnet.wsrcc.com:         BoardName   "MGA G550 AGP"
    XF86Config.scoville.wsrcc.com:       BoardName   "MGA G400 AGP"
    XF86Config.old-scoville.wsrcc.com:   BoardName   "MGA 2164W [Millennium II]"

I think you'll be happier if you let "X -configure" build your
XF86Config file for you and then added only mouse buttons, font path,
and perhaps some modules.  XFree86 does a better job at picking good
timings then most people do.  At one point when X first selected 85-hz
refresh for me om my Hitachi "Superscan Supreme 803" I went through
the timings it chose comparing to the constraints in the datasheets.
Everything was legit and fairly conservative.

I ended up using X's choice as the gold-standard and aligned all the
monitors to use that.  One big advantage is that I can plug any
monitor into any display card and have it display with the same
alignment.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht 		     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/