Subject: Re: 2.0: xclock segfaults when fc-cache not ran (== default)
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-x11
Date: 04/06/2004 12:12:01
On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> so I don't think that's necessarily a problem. On installing both
> variations, it's obviously to support both ABI's, so that you can run
> binaries built on hosts that aren't running the latest XFree86, and I
> think that's a great idea.

Uhu... I hope we ship programs using the old ABI to justify this,
but I don't care enought about that.

> > And after running fc-cache, the above problem disappears - how can we make
> > things work without that, or run it by default, preferably before creating
> > set or by including the resulting cache in the sets?
>
> The fonts.cache-1 files *are* included in the sets. Still, those won't
> include any fonts you already have installed.

I started with no /usr/X11R6 at all, so aparently something's not working
properly here. I didn't get complaints about missing fonts.cache files
when creating the release sets, and I didn't look (and can't check right
now) if they're in there and with what data (or empty?), but this needs
investigation.

Of course people just upgrading will probably not hit that problem.

> I would like to see
> "etcupdate" offer to run fc-cache, and while we're wishing, I would
> also like to see it run the equivalent of "/etc/postinstall -s / fix
> obsolete" (or just run that).

sounds useful.

 - Hubert

--