Subject: Re: 2.0: xclock segfaults when fc-cache not ran (== default)
To: Frederick Bruckman <>
From: Hubert Feyrer <>
List: tech-x11
Date: 04/06/2004 12:12:01
On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> so I don't think that's necessarily a problem. On installing both
> variations, it's obviously to support both ABI's, so that you can run
> binaries built on hosts that aren't running the latest XFree86, and I
> think that's a great idea.

Uhu... I hope we ship programs using the old ABI to justify this,
but I don't care enought about that.

> > And after running fc-cache, the above problem disappears - how can we make
> > things work without that, or run it by default, preferably before creating
> > set or by including the resulting cache in the sets?
> The fonts.cache-1 files *are* included in the sets. Still, those won't
> include any fonts you already have installed.

I started with no /usr/X11R6 at all, so aparently something's not working
properly here. I didn't get complaints about missing fonts.cache files
when creating the release sets, and I didn't look (and can't check right
now) if they're in there and with what data (or empty?), but this needs

Of course people just upgrading will probably not hit that problem.

> I would like to see
> "etcupdate" offer to run fc-cache, and while we're wishing, I would
> also like to see it run the equivalent of "/etc/postinstall -s / fix
> obsolete" (or just run that).

sounds useful.

 - Hubert

Hubert Feyrer <>