Subject: Re: 2.0: xclock segfaults when fc-cache not ran (== default)
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-x11
Date: 04/05/2004 20:25:43
On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> Anyone else see this?

Yes, xclock cores often.

> Looking around a bit, I wonder why we ship more than one libXft.so (both
> 2.1 and 1.1 are installed here, and also in the set lists). And ktrace
> reveals a file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XtErrorDB is not there.

Running "ktrace" on things reveals a lot of files that aren't there,
so I don't think that's necessarily a problem. On installing both
variations, it's obviously to support both ABI's, so that you can run
binaries built on hosts that aren't running the latest XFree86, and I
think that's a great idea.

> And after running fc-cache, the above problem disappears - how can we make
> things work without that, or run it by default, preferably before creating
> set or by including the resulting cache in the sets?

The fonts.cache-1 files *are* included in the sets. Still, those won't
include any fonts you already have installed. I would like to see
"etcupdate" offer to run fc-cache, and while we're wishing, I would
also like to see it run the equivalent of "/etc/postinstall -s / fix
obsolete" (or just run that).

Frederick