Subject: Re: 2.0: can't build src/x11
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-x11
Date: 04/04/2004 10:16:01
--a1QUDc0q7S3U7/Jg

On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 12:13:46PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
  | On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 11:23:38AM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
  | > I wonder if either the headers aren't installed properly for me (into
  | > destdir), or if that should be added to all Makefiles w/o installing =
the
  | > header.
  |=20
  | Hmm - this might be true: there is a HEADERS =3D expat.h in
  | xfree/xc/lib/expat/Imakefile - but I can't find the equivalent in src/x=
11.

That seems like a mistake (missing expat.h installation), but that
wouldn't solve Hubert's problem because there's other "private"
headers that aren't installed even in a native build that lint
isn't finding..

I recall seeing other people describe similar problems to Hubert's:
    a)	the Makefile has a few .PATH rules
    b)	some of the .PATHs are also explicitly added to CPPFLAGS
    c)	a header file is in a .PATHs that's _not_ added to CPPFLAGS

For some reason header files as per `c)' are found on some systems
(including mine), but not on others (like Hubert's).  I don't know
why they're found on my system even though they're not installed.

As a general rule, if the header file is _not_ to be installed,
we should have an appropriate CPPFLAGS for the directory it's
installed in.  However, we don't want to add -I entries for the
source directories when the header is installed.
(Unfortunately the XFree86 sources require us to break this rule
at times, but that is orthogonal to this specific issue).

Hubert; can you add the appropriate CPPFLAGS lines as you detect
them to fix your build.  Once it works, feel free to send the
diff by me for review, or commit appropriately and I'll try=20
and check it post commit.

Thanks,
Luke.

--a1QUDc0q7S3U7/Jg