Subject: X server has font problems
To: None <tech-x11@NetBSD.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-x11
Date: 03/29/2004 09:51:41
Something broke my X servers font handling recently. I have no idea when
this happened exactly and what triggered it (I had to do a massive pkgsrc
rebuilt at that time and my usual desktop environment was unusable due
to that). I first thought this would be pkgsrc related, so I filed PR pkg/24941
with details - but this does look like a generic X problem now.

I updated the src and xsrc trees, I've rebuild userland and X (both by using
xsrc and src/x11). The problems stay.

So the short summary of what is wrong: when I open "xconsole" on that
X server, it comes up with something like a 18pt or 20pt font, instead of
the usual 10pt or 12pt (whatever it is). Similar things happen for lots
of other apps. Visualy. I'm not sure which fonts it chooses or how I could
find out.

This realy sounds like wrong DPI settings, but I used xdpyinfo to verify
the data look correct: my TFT does 1280x1024 and it's ~29 cm high and ~36 cm
wide:

name of display:    :0.0
version number:    11.0
vendor string:    The XFree86 Project, Inc
vendor release number:    40400000
XFree86 version: 4.4.0
screen #0:
  dimensions:    1280x1024 pixels (361x289 millimeters)
  resolution:    90x90 dots per inch
  depths (7):    16, 1, 4, 8, 15, 24, 32

(I should not fiddle with this things late at night - I had it wrong
in /etc/XF86Config and the xdpyinfo output in the PR - but fixing that
did not change anything for the real problem)

I'm a user only when it comes to X, don't even understand much of it's
configuration - I would realy apreciate any hints on what could be wrong in
my local setup or how to diagnose this further.

Martin