Subject: Re: GLXPixmaps and glXMakeCurrent().
To: Tyler Retzlaff <rtr@twentynine.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: tech-x11
Date: 03/21/2004 19:19:35
On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 12:07:36PM +1100, Tyler Retzlaff wrote:
> On Sunday 21 March 2004 19:54, Richard Rauch wrote:
>
> I don't have any specific help for your problem but I will offer a few bits to
> clear some things up.
>
> > In addition to now using the (presumably nearly-identical)
> > 4.4 server, another difference is that I had to build
> > 4.4 from the xsrc Makefile (which resulted in a slower-
> > used the "raw" XFree86 sources and got a dynamic-linked
> > server for the "4.4RC2".  I have not yet tried grabbing
> > raw 4.4 sources and building a new server with them.
>
> xsrc builds a loadable XFree86 X server by default there should be no real
> difference between this and an XFree86 built from xfree86 "raw" sources.

Well, there *is* a very real difference:

Building via "build.sh" produces a server that does nothing but
abort.

Building via "make" produces a server with no "modules", and which
works.

The build.sh build was crashing in module-load, apparently; when
I posted about that to current-users, someone told me that it
was likely caused by modules (I hadn't come to that conclusion, but
he said that his X also crashed the same way on AMD64; apparently
this is a known problem), and that if I built a static linked
server, it would be okay.  He said that all that I needed to do
was directly use the Makefile in xsrc.

Whatever the *intention*, directly using the Makefile in xsrc is
very different in effect than using build.sh in src.

> > I have not (yet) tried building and running the client program
> > on the i386 laptop to see if there's any chance that that will
> > make the problem go away.  (But the X server shouldn't crash
> > just because of a bad GLX request.  (^&)
>
> I agree.
>
> > I'm not familiar with the X sources, and don't even know if
> > I should be looking under "xc" or "xfree" to find the correct
> > set of sources.
>
> If you're interested in looking at source only xsrc/xfree/xc/ (XF 4.4) is
> relevant since xsrc/xc (XF 3.x) is not what you have built.
>
> Just as an activity to narrow the problem would it be possible for you to
> build x11 (from the 4.4 tag) of xfree86's "raw" source and see if the problem

Is there a CVS tag for this in the NetBSD repository?  Or do I
need to grab a 4.4 tarball/CVS directly from the XFree86 people?

I'll give this a try in a day or so.  Thanks for the help.  (^&