Subject: KDM/KDE3 only allows root login
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org, tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Dr R.S. Brooks <R.S.Brooks@liverpool.ac.uk>
List: tech-x11
Date: 03/20/2004 17:01:50
I've just upgraded my laptop to 1.6.2, and have installed KDE 3.1.4 from
the binary packages and set up KDM to run from rc.d.

I can log in as root, but trying to log in as a non-root user results in
an error popup which reads:

    There was an error setting up inter-process communications for KDE.
    The message returned by the system was:

    Could not read network connection /home/rsb/DCOPserver_byrd__0

    Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running.

~/.xsession-errors contains several errors:

DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected,
reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported
and host-based authentication failed
DCOPServer self-test failed.
ICE Connection rejected!

A Google search suggests that this is a widespread problem, but no-one
seems to know the solution.  Unlike some other people who have this problem,
logging in as root, then logging in as a non-root user does not seem to
help.

So am I the only person who is actually trying to use KDE3?

Roger