Subject: ddcprobe (probe monitor hardware) for NetBSD?
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-x11
Date: 03/13/2004 11:30:03
Does anyone know of any tool for probing monitor hardware for *BSD?

I found ddcprobe which is a part of kudzu (and anaconda and others) for
Linux, but it has Linux-specific code for DPMI-like functions. It also
appears to have incompatible vm86.h.

I'd like to find some tool or code that can report the Manufacturer,
Monitor name, and/or EISA ID of detected hardware.

It appears that "XFree86 -configure" can show some report this, but I was
wondering if there is some standalone tool to do the same.

Then I will use that to configure the XF86Config VertRefresh and HorizSync
using the MonitorsDB (from Linux "hwdata" or other packages) database
information.

Also, I think "XFree86 -configure" can detect (or figure out?) the best
ranges for XF86Config VertRefresh and HorizSync.

But the MonitorsDB is more comprehensive for defining this.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/