Subject: how to handle softfloat archs with the X dynamic loader...
To: None <tech-x11@NetBSD.org>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@dokein.co.uk>
List: tech-x11
Date: 03/10/2004 22:50:53
Hi,

While porting the cross server stuff to cats I stumbled upon an issue
with the loader (well currently I've not got anything working yet but)
It seems that modules/drivers that use softfloat functions end up with
missing symbols in them.  I suspect this is something to do with how we
link them, but I'm not certain.

What I'm really not sure of is the right way to get the softfloat
symbols into the drivers/modules.  Do I need to link the drivers with
-lc ? (I'm surprised that doesn't happen already?)  Or should I be doing
what's currently done for __divdf3, __divdi3, __divsf3 etc, which is to
do a prototype, define it with #pragma weak, and then include it in the
xf86sym.c symbol list?  Having tried the later method this seems to
allow symbols to be resolved...

Any advice on this, is cats the only softfloat supporting arch with
dynamically loading modules?

Thanks,
Chris