Subject: Re: problems with ATI Radeon
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: S.P.Zeidler <spz@serpens.de>
List: tech-x11
Date: 02/28/2004 00:02:12
Hi,

perry wrote:
> I've got a laptop with an ATI Radeon:

> vga0 at pci1 dev 0 function 0: ATI Technologies Radeon Mobility M9 (rev.
0x02)

> When I'm running X, and the screensaver blanks the screen, or when the
> machine wakes up from sleep while I'm running X, the screen stays
> blank and cannot be recovered by any obvious means other than
> rebooting.

I've a ATI Radeon Mobility M7 with similar symptoms, however, there are
slight differences and tricks to get the screen back.

The difference I have is that the screen lights up again from graphics
mode blanking, but is really messed up (random twitching, looks very
unhealthy).

The fix is to switch to a text-only screen, switch off the LCD lighting if
it's on, then on again on the text screen, and the image will come back
nicely -most- times (if it doesn't, a second try of lights off/lights on
will usually work). Going back to the graphics screen (i.e. X) will then
also work fine.

Also: at work I have a Linux box with an ATI Mach64 graphics card and
an LCD monitor that has the same problem (with the screen staying
blank, not going into twitch mode), and the same workaround works too.

kind regards,
	spz
--
spz@serpens.de (S.P.Zeidler)