Subject: Re: X Can't Find a Server
To: Tyler Retzlaff <>
From: None <>
List: tech-x11
Date: 02/04/2004 23:30:33
I'm running 1.6.1 and the installation included X.  I used the "startx" command.
Using the command "startx 2>& file" here is the unmodified error message.

xauth:  error in locking authority file /home/jim/.Xauthority
xauth:  error in locking authority file /home/jim/.Xauthority
xauth:  error in locking authority file /home/jim/.Xauthority
xauth:  error in locking authority file /home/jim/.Xauthority

XFree86 Version 4.2.1 / X Window System
Release Date: 3 September 2002
	If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
	newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
	reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/)
Build Operating System: NetBSD/i386 1.6.1_RC1 [ELF] The NetBSD Foundation, Inc.
Module Loader present
         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Wed Feb  4 13:20:32 2004
(==) Using config file: "/home/jim/XF86Config"
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
Please report problems to

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

This mail sent using ToadMail -- Web based e-mail @ ToadNet