Subject: Radeon 9200 revisited.
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: tech-x11
Date: 01/28/2004 00:05:39
Okay, I finally have a working X server on what seems like a fairly stable
(fingers crossed) machine, again.

Is anyone else trying to use a Radeon 9200 with a quite recent -current
(repleat with X server update)?

Previously, the auto-config would try to make me use the "vga" driver.
I found that substituting "vesa" worked very nicely.  If memory serves,
I got about 1100fps (yes, 1.1kfps) in glxgears in 24bpp.  (More like
1000fps in 16bpp.)  Now I'm getting about 600 in 16bpp and 500 in 24bpp
(now slower in 24bpp than in 16bpp, and about half speed in general).

Scrolling, e.g. in an xterm, is painful to watch.  As is "opaque"
window dragging in twm.

The only weird thing in the config is that I had to turn off the
"ShadowFB" option, or else the server would fail with the announcement
that it couldn't load the shadow module (followed by failing to accept
any of the drivers).

Any suggestions (other than reverting to something a bit older)?
Or should I just wait until XFree86 4.4 is released and imported?
(Or maybe try to grab the 4.4 sources myself and build those?)