Subject: Re: Preserving local configuration on X11 upgrade
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-x11
Date: 01/23/2004 12:05:39
--7tPHY7RFL01rOa8z

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 11:20:17PM +0000, David Laight wrote:
  | >   =20
  | >       1.	Move the files that are likely to be modified
  | >    	by the end user to a new set "xetc.tgz", and
  | >    	only install these files in with "make distribution"
  | >    	instead of "make install".
  | >    	Enhance postinstall and etcupdate to support upgrading
  | >    	changed files as necessary.
  | >    	I've attached a list of files that I've identified
  | >    	that are candidates for this.
  | >    	This is my preferred solution.
  | >=20
  | > at least initially, this seems like the best option.
  |=20
  | Personally I would install the 'master' copies of these files into
  | a different directory, then have a script that runs after the set is
  | installed and copies them into place if the files don't already exist.

Why implement this solution for X11's config when we don't do this
for /etc (et al)?
We use etc.tgz to "bootstrap" /etc for a good reason...

BTW: even if we did the "symlink from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/* -> /etc/X11/*"
solution, we still need to provide this "bootstrap" functionality,
which is exactly why I suggested an Xetc.tgz set.

  | Then 'splatting' the existing configuration can be done on user request
  | and at any time.  The script needs to be part of the set that contains
  | the file, but could be run automatically by sysinst.
  |=20
  | Maybe we could call the script 'postinstall' :-)

etcupdate is probably more appropriate for that particular purpose.

Luke.

--7tPHY7RFL01rOa8z

--7tPHY7RFL01rOa8z--