Subject: Re: Preserving local configuration on X11 upgrade
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-x11
Date: 01/22/2004 23:20:17

>       1.	Move the files that are likely to be modified
>    	by the end user to a new set "xetc.tgz", and
>    	only install these files in with "make distribution"
>    	instead of "make install".
>    	Enhance postinstall and etcupdate to support upgrading
>    	changed files as necessary.
>    	I've attached a list of files that I've identified
>    	that are candidates for this.
>    	This is my preferred solution.
>
> at least initially, this seems like the best option.

Personally I would install the 'master' copies of these files into
a different directory, then have a script that runs after the set is
installed and copies them into place if the files don't already exist.

Then 'splatting' the existing configuration can be done on user request
and at any time.  The script needs to be part of the set that contains
the file, but could be run automatically by sysinst.

Maybe we could call the script 'postinstall' :-)

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk